Below is a simple system that I plan to implement that will help me stay focused
I am breaking down the process into a planning and a doing phase. In the planning phase, I select the tasks to work on based on long-term goals. The doing phase is where I spend my time working on the tasks.
- Identify the tasks to work on based on the Pareto Principle. I will dedicate my time working on those tasks that will bring the most reward. During this step, I ask the questions: Is this task necessary? Can I delegate the task to someone else? How long will this task take? How does this task fit into my long-term goals and objectives?
- Add tasks to a to-do list.
- Prioritize tasks.
This phase consists of working on the tasks on my to-do list using the Pomodoro Technique.
- Work on a task for 25 minutes.
- After 25 minutes put a checkmark on paper.
- Take a 5-minute break from the work you are doing. Take a walk, relax, drink a cup of coffee.
- Start another Pomodoro sprint and work on a task for 25 minutes repeating steps 1-3.
- After 4 Pomodoro’s take a longer break.
I would love to hear any techniques you may have that help you stay focused and productive.